03 May What a Rockmommy wants for Mother’s Day: 2019 Edition
by Marisa Torrieri Bloom
Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and we love flowers and pretty things. But we of the rockmommy collective also love to rock. Here, a few of the coolest musical, creative and sustainable gift ideas for us.
- Women of Punk coaster set; $18.91: This made-for-Etsy, vintage-concert coaster set is the coolest we’ve ever seen, and a perfect gift for fans of Blondie, Cramps, X Ray Specs, Sioux & The Banshees and Joan Jett.
- Rock-and-Roll Woman: The 50 Fiercest Female Rockers; $16.50. Give mama a great beach escape with this impossible-to-put-down book from journalist Meredith Ochs. The book features some the most inspiring and iconic ladies of rock n’ roll including rock mamas Aretha Franklin, Grace Slick and Gwen Stefani.
- Ibanez JIVA10 Signature Electric Guitar Deep Space Blonde; $1,499. We can’t say enough about guitar goddess Nita Strauss’ signature axe. It’s beautiful, easy to wield onstage, and produces the most heavenly tones. As they used to say in the ’80s, it’s “strong like a man, but made for a woman.”
- GAMAGO Flipper Guitar Spatula in Black; $15.99. If she insists on cooking brunch, make her eyes light up with this whimsical guitar-shaped spatula.
- Past & Present Succulent Garden; $59. Share the love with this earthy, gorgeous box of succulents, which will last months longer than a bouquet. Available from ProFlowers.
- Birth month guitar pick; $25. Strum sweetly with a gorgeous gemstone guitar pic inspired by mama’s birth month. These beauties are made in the United States, available through UncommonGoods.
- Every Mother Counts bouquet; $88. For the month of May, Farmgirl Flowers is dedicating 100 percent of proceeds for its Orange Rose Mother’s Day Collection to Every Mother Counts — a company whose mission is to make pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, everywhere.
- Rothy’s Gray Camo Sneakers; $125. I’m kind of obsessed with these sustainable, washable shoes made from recycled materials. They look great, wear well onstage (or in the mommy-and-me gym class) and are light as feathers. Your favorite rockmommy will swoon.
—- Marisa Torrieri Bloom is a writer, guitar teacher, mom, and the founder of Rockmommy.