08 Dec The Holiday Gift Guide for Rock n’ Roll Kids
by Marisa Torrieri Bloom
This holiday, surprise your budding rockstar with some cool clothes, toys, and other musically inspired pieces.
- Hape Melodies Ukulele, $29: If your son likes Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” introduce him to a whole new world of string instruments with this gorgeous red uke, made with non-toxic materials.
2. Melissa & Doug Band in a Box; $19.99: This classic, 10-piece musical instrument set is a box of delights for the pre-K set. The kit offers plenty of stuff to shake and make noise with all in one place.
3. Yunko Guitar Cookie Cutter set, $14.52: Your kid will love making cookies with these cutters shaped like acoustic guitars, electric guitars, and music notes.
4. Gells Kids Lightening Bolt Belt, $29: Keep your little rockstar’s pants from falling down while he’s having his big stage moment — or tumbling around the gym — with this lightening-bolt belt (for kids ages 0 to 9). You’ll be doing some good too (5% of the sale of each Gells belt benefits one of the outfitter’s charity partners). Use the promo code FAIRFIELDMOM at checkout (before 12/31) and you’ll receive 20% off!
5. Laurie Berkner “Superhero” record, $9.99 to $12.99: If your 2-year-old hasn’t started jamming out to music by singer-guitarist Laurie Berkner, there’s no time like the present to introduce him to “Superhero,” the latest record — available as a digital download or CD — from the renowned children’s music artist. This CD is a surefire way to get your child engaged with everything from potty time to bedtime (my two sons, Logan and Nathan, cannot get enough of it!).
6. Fisher Price Classics Record Player Musical Toy, $21.99: This colorful, old-school-style record player has plenty of knobs to turn, and will keep your 18-month-old entertained for hours.
7. TOMS Gold Metallic Mary Janes, $39: Let her sparkle onstage in these cute little kickers. Shoes feature a gold foil upper, rubber outsole (for a no-slip grip), and a sock liner that fights bacteria.
8. Kidz Gear Bluetooth Stereo Headphones, $16.99: When Josephine is ready to rock out to Katy Perry (or the Chipmunks), give her these cool (but child-tailored) headphones, which will help to protect her hearing when she listens to tunes on your iPad, iPhone, or other music player. Available in blue and pink, the headphones also include a patented removable omnidirectional Boom Microphone, ideal for children’s foreign language studies, audio/verbal test-taking at school and more.
—- Marisa Torrieri Bloom is a writer, guitar teacher, mom, and the founder of Rockmommy.